This baby is so simple, you've got to try her.
But you want to wait for those bananas to go brown. Really brown. Like virtually fruit fly brown before you bake this. You want to develop that natural sugar i.e. ripen it well up. Trust me, it makes the difference in flavour.
And as always of course: go organic on everything, where possible.
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar. This will take about 5 minutes. The whipping process will gradually lighten the mixture. It's ready when it has turned 5-7 shades lighter.
- Incorporate the eggs (about half an egg at a time, every 45-60 seconds, to avoid splitting). Add the flour, soda, the salt and the vanilla. Add the bananas.
- Pour into a greased and floured loaf baking tin.
- Bake at 350˚F (approximately 170˚C) for 60 minutes.
- Prick with a toothpick and if it comes out clean, you're in business.
1/2 cup butter, soft
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
4 bananas, blitzed in a food processor, or mushed thoroughly with a fork
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
pinch of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon lovely vanilla